[Cosmic-Explorations] September Johnson Space Center Astronomy Society Meeting

Shaner, Andrew Shaner at lpi.usra.edu
Fri Sep 13 10:08:20 CDT 2013

Johnson Space Center Astronomy Society Meeting

September 13, 2013

7:30 pm

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS MONTH ONLY we will meet at SPACE CENTER HOUSTON !

What happens to matter near a black hole?  One possibility is a Gamma
Ray Burst, and our guest presenter Dr. Tim Giblin from UHCL will give us
the complete story at our August meeting this Friday, September 13th.

Venus is an amazing sight high in the SW sky at sunset.  It is that
super bright 'star'.  It has phases like our moon when viewed through a
telescope.  We'll provide you more observing ideas in the "What's Up in
the Sky this Month" talk.  Other topics are "Astro Oddities" and the
popular Novice Q & A Session.  We'll also discuss our Fall Star Parties,
our trip to Ft. McKavitt and the fast approaching Astronomy Day for the
local astronomy clubs and the public.

JSCAS is open to anyone who wants to learn about astronomy and
membership is FREE!  After joining, you'll have access to our Loaner
Telescopes and our amazing DVD Library with 100's of choices to learn
from (from Astronomy Magazine, NASA, etc.).  Our meetings are held on
the 2nd Friday of each month at 7:30.  For more info, see our website at
http://jscas.net <http://jscas.net/> .