[Cosmic-Explorations] Johnson Space Center Astronomical Society Meeting this Friday - ONLINE

Shaner, Andrew Shaner at lpi.usra.edu
Mon Jun 8 09:17:26 CDT 2020

Johnson Space Center Astronomical Society Meeting - ONLINE

The June meeting of the JSCAS will be held ONLINE, this Friday, June 12th at 7:30 pm, on YouTube.  (See below.)  This month's speakers will be Leonard Ferguson & Annie Wargetz who will discuss "The Road Goes Ever On: The Martian Rovers and Our Path to the Red Planet.'  Tune in and join us!

The meeting can be accessed by going to the JSCAS YouTube Channel at the link:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf1NUQVpZ8mB2h5JFVra_tg
To submit questions for our presenters during the meeting, please either enter your questions as a YouTube comment (if you have an account that will allow doing so) or send your questions to:  jscaslive at gmail.com<mailto:jscaslive at gmail.com>
Also, the JSCAS YouTube Channel link will be posted on the JSCAS web page:  http://www.jscas.net

Leonard Ferguson is an active amateur astronomer with a particular interest in our sun and variable stars.  He is a longtime volunteer at the Houston Museum of Natural Science's George Observatory, conducting classroom presentations during public star parties and assisting with the operation of the domed telescopes.  Leonard is active in Fort Bend Astronomy Club, assisting with educational programs and helping to support and organize club meetings and activities and also writes stargazing articles for several publications.

Annie Wargetz is a life-long space enthusiast who has a passion for getting the public and all those around her as excited about space exploration as she is.  Annie holds an undergraduate degree from the University of Houston in Communications. She focused on public relations/advertising and earned a minor in mathematics.  She holds a graduate degree in Space Sciences from the University of North Dakota where she focused her studies on human spaceflight.  Her favorite topics to speak on are human spaceflight, any of the multitudes of NASA missions, and heliophysics.
Here is the meeting agenda:
Welcome - Doug Holland, JSCAS President
Main Presentation - The Road Goes Ever On: The Martian Rovers and Our Path to the Red Planet - Leonard Ferguson & Annie Wargetz
DIY Astronomy - Rigging for Remote Imaging, Chris Wells & Treavor Quinn
Star Party News - David Haviland

JSCAS is open to anyone who wants to learn about astronomy and membership is FREE!  (It's the best offer money can't buy!)  After joining, you'll have access to our amazing Astronomy DVD Library with 100's of choices to learn from (from Astronomy Magazine, NASA, The Great Courses, Discovery Channel, etc.).  Our meetings are held on the 2nd Friday of each month at 7:30 pm in the lecture hall of The Lunar & Planetary Institute. (3600 Bay Area Blvd. at Middlebrook Dr., aka USRA Bldg.)  For more info, see our website at jscas.net

Note to all those who have borrowed DVDs from the JSCAS Media Library: Please hold your borrowed DVDs until the next meeting at the Lunar & Planetary Institute.