[Cosmic-Explorations] Johnson Space Center Astronomical Society Meeting this Friday!

Shaner, Andrew Shaner at lpi.usra.edu
Wed Aug 8 13:34:23 CDT 2018

Johnson Space Center Astronomical Society Meeting

Join us Friday evening, August 10th, as Dr. Brandon Reddell discusses the 'Conditions for Habitability: A Galactic Perspective'.  Reddell is a physicist who for 15 years has studied space radiation environments and its effects at NASA Johnson Space Center, and currently with the International Space Station Program Science Office.  He will discuss how habitability is evaluated for exoplanets.  Brandon has been an amateur astronomer for most of his life and got his PhD in the area of high energy physics.  He occasionally teaches Astronomy and Physics at UHCL. "The search for exoplanets has lead the scientific community to evaluate the concept of habitability. In a previous talk, I showed that planetary habitability is much more than just requiring liquid water. In this talk we back up a level and look at our Milky Way Galaxy to understand habitability from a galaxy point of view."  So please join us!

Our agenda also includes the short talks: "Astro Oddities", "What's Up (In the Sky this Month)?", "Member's Minutes", and STAR Time: a chance were you can "Show, Tell, Ask or Respond" to the group.  BTW...after-meeting discussions continue at Mod Pizza.
JSCAS is open to anyone who wants to learn about astronomy and membership is FREE!  (It's the best offer money can't buy!)  After joining, you'll have access to our amazing Astronomy DVD Library with 100's of choices to learn from (from Astronomy Magazine, NASA, The Great Courses, Discovery Channel, etc.).  Our meetings are held on the 2nd Friday of each month at 7:30 pm in the lecture hall of the USRA Bldg. (3600 Bay Area Blvd. at Middlebrook Dr., aka The Lunar & Planetary Institute)  For more info, see our website at jscas.net

Note to all those who have borrowed DVDs from the JSCAS Media Library: Please return your borrowed DVDs before the meeting or during the break. Yes, you can check them out again!