[Cosmic-Explorations] Johnson Space Center Astronomy Society Meeting this Friday!

Shaner, Andrew Shaner at lpi.usra.edu
Tue Aug 6 07:50:47 CDT 2013

Johnson Space Center Astronomy Society Meeting

Our August meeting is this Friday, August 9, should prove to be
interesting as it will feature Paul Maley, our Scientific Expedition
officer, discussing a recent Asteroid Occultation Event and how it was
planned, measured, the participants involved and results.  (Regarding
our JSC Today ad;  Dr. Tim Giblin will now be our presenter at the
September meeting about the biggest energy events known to man...Gamma
Ray Bursts.)

Have you noticed the bright 'star' high in the SW sky at sunset?  Did
you know that it's actually Saturn?  It is an easy but beautiful target
through a small telescope.  We'll provide you additional suggestions in
our "What's up in the sky this Month?" talk.  Other informative talks
include "Astro Oddities", the Member's Minute, and we encourage our
guests to come up with their own questions for our Novice Q & A Session.
We'll also discuss our Fall Star Parties.  (...and the discussions
continue at Double Daves Pizza after the meeting!)

JSCAS is open to anyone who wants to learn about astronomy and
membership is FREE!  After joining, you'll have access to our Loaner
Telescopes and our amazing DVD Library with 100's of choices to learn
from.  Our meetings are held on the 2nd Friday of each month at 7:30 pm
in the lecture hall of the USRA Bldg. (3600 Bay Area Blvd. at
Middlebrook Dr.)  For more info, see our website at http://jscas.net.

Note:  All those who have borrowed DVDs from the JSCAS Media Library are
reminded to please bring in their educational materials to the next
JSCAS meeting...and feel free to borrow additional materials.