[Cosmic-Explorations] Johnson Space Center Astronomical Society Meeting this Friday!

Shaner, Andrew Shaner at lpi.usra.edu
Tue Jan 9 09:49:40 CST 2018

Johnson Space Center Astronomical Society Meeting

Join us this Friday night, January 12th, as former JSCAS President, Dennis Webb, talks about "Messier 51: Things You Might Not Know."  Webb, who now lives in north Texas, retired from JSC in 2008 after 36 years in Mission Operations.  He has coauthored six books on astronomy: 5 volumes of Annals of the Deep Sky and the acclaimed Arp Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies.  He started his amateur astronomer career in 1989, has built his own 18-inch telescope, and become an astrophotographer.  Join us as Dennis takes us on a "Whirlpool" of an adventure around Messier 51.

Our other short talks will be: "DIY Astronomy", "Astro Oddities", the informative "Member's Minute", a Calendar of this year's Upcoming Star Parties and the Novice Q&A where you get to ask us questions about astronomy!  (After-Meeting discussions continue at Mod Pizza.)

JSCAS is open to anyone who wants to learn about astronomy and membership is FREE!  (It's the best offer money can't buy!)  After joining, you'll have access to our amazing Astronomy DVD Library with 100's of choices to learn from (from Astronomy Magazine, NASA, The Great Courses, Discovery Channel, etc.).  Our meetings are held on the 2nd Friday of each month at 7:30 pm in the lecture hall of the USRA Bldg. (3600 Bay Area Blvd. at Middlebrook Dr., aka The Lunar & Planetary Institute)  For more info, see our website at jscas.net

Note to all those who have borrowed DVDs from the JSCAS Media Library:  The Library will NOT be available at this meeting.  Please hang on to your DVDs for the February meeting.