[Cosmic-Explorations] HMNS Distinguished Lecture Series

Shaner, Andrew Shaner at lpi.usra.edu
Wed May 11 16:43:31 CDT 2016

LPI scientist Dr. David Kring will give public presentations at the Houston Museum of Natural Science as part of their Distinguished Lecture Series in May and June. Below are more details. A flyer is also attached to this email. We invite you to join us at HMNS for these fascinating presentations! Tickets are required to attend and can be purchased at http://www.hmns.org/education/adults/distinguished-lectures/.

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D1ABA2.FF9D8520]<http://store.hmns.org/DateSelection.aspx?item=3068>

A compelling case can be made that exploration of the Moon is the shortest and least expensive route to a fundamental change in our understanding of our origins. The capability being developed with NASA's Space Launch System (SLS) and Orion crew vehicle provides the nation with an outstanding opportunity to reinvigorate its space program beyond low-Earth orbit. A decade-long series of studies have identified the best landing sites and traverse routes to maximize scientific return in missions that could be conducted throughout the 2020s. The lunar farside and specifically the Schrödinger impact basin is the highest priority target.

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D1ABA2.FF9D8520]<http://store.hmns.org/DateSelection.aspx?item=3074>

In 2013 the world was riveted by the impact of an asteroid near the Russian town of Chelyabinsk, where over 1,000 people were injured. It was an eerie reminder of another, bigger, impact event that flattened a forest near the Tunguska River in Siberia on June 30, 1908-and a modern-day example of the immense dinosaur-killing Chicxulub impact event in the Yucatán. As an update to his 2015 Asteroid Day presentation, Dr. David Kring will describe the magnitude of their persisting threat today, and the steps we might take to mitigate these types of calamitous events in the future.