[Cosmic-Explorations] Johnson Space Center Astronomy Society Meeting this Friday!

Shaner, Andrew Shaner at lpi.usra.edu
Tue Apr 7 16:14:23 CDT 2015

Johnson Space Center Astronomy Society Meeting

This Friday, our April meeting will feature Dr. Madhan Tirumalai who will give us our first astrobiology talk explaining how "Extremophiles Redefine the Limits of Life". Organisms like deep sea vent communities and geyser pool bacteria show us that life continually stretches our commonly held boundaries. Perhaps the sub-ice oceans of Europa or Enceladus, or sub-surface on Mars will hold the answer to the great question of life beyond Earth.

Our other topics will include 'What's Up in the Sky This Month?', with suggestions for observing, the intriguing 'Astro Oddities', the novice Q & A Session where you can ask your questions to our membership, a preview of our upcoming star parties including our trip to our dark sky site at Ft. McKavett, and the informative Member's Minutes.

JSCAS is open to anyone who wants to learn about astronomy and membership is FREE!  After joining, you'll have access to our Loaner Telescopes and our amazing Astronomy DVD Library with 100's of choices to learn from (produced by Astronomy Magazine, NASA, Discovery Channel, etc.).  Our meetings are held on the 2nd Friday of each month at 7:30 pm in the lecture hall of the USRA Bldg. (3600 Bay Area Blvd. at Middlebrook Dr.)  Pizza and refreshments follow at Mr. Gatti's at  El Camino Real and Bay Area Blvd.  For more info, see our website at jscas.net

Note to all those who have borrowed DVDs from the JSCAS Media Library:  PLEASE BRING THEM BACK AT THE BEGINNING & DURING THE BREAK AT THIS MEETING.  YES, you can check them out again...or acquire new ones!